Even though myo-inositol is a natural substance and generally tolerated very well, some may experience negative side effects when using the supplement. It is possible too, that inositol as a supplement may not be right for you if you have certain conditions. If you are considering inositol in any form, be aware of the following possible adverse effects:
1. High doses of inositol are not recommended if you have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. The supplement may lower your blood sugar level and induce hypoglycemia.
2. Myo-inositol supplements may cause a feeling of fogginess when taken in high dosages. This sensation usually fades after your body becomes accustomed to the supplement. Lower the dosage to see if the symptom improves. Consult with your physician if the problem persists.
3. High doses of myo-inositol taken on a daily basis may cause severe cramps in your abdomen. You may also experience loose stools. Do not take inositol if these conditions persist.
4. Discontinue taking inositol if you are experiencing dizziness, which may be temporary or permanent.
5. Inositol may effect your sleep patterns. The supplement may be helpful if you suffer from insomnia, but oddly enough, inositol may also induce insomnia. Lower your dosage if you experience this negative side effect.
6. Myo-inositol may cause your skin to itch. Take a lower dose or discontinue inositol if the problem persists.
7. Inositol may cause mild sexual dysfunction including a lowered libido. Inositol should not cause serious dysfunction, however, and the effect varies with each individual.
8. Pregnant and lactating mothers should NOT take inositol supplements without first consulting their OB-GYN or other medical practitioner. Doctors do not recommend supplements to pregnant women or those who are breastfeeding except under certain circumstances.
9. If you take high doses of inositol, you may experience nausea, which is the most common side effect of the supplement. This may be remedied by taking smaller doses initially until your body grows accustomed to it.
10. If mixed with other substances, you may see side effects, but when used on its own, it is generally a safe supplement.